Posted to Facebook by HH Devamrita Swami
Let’s face it, material existence is a scorching desert that offers only illusory succor. When will we learn that karmic activity will never supply the solace our interior so hungrily desires.
While sojourning through this world of broken dreams, I keep an eye on my heart, monitoring its levels, mindful of its constant need for bhakti moisturisation, amid the nonstop dehydrating effect of material nature.
I’d be quite foolish to put my heart “on auto pilot,” while mechanically executing devotional service. A young devotee can get away with this for a while, but as the years of spiritual practice roll by, our personal responsibility for our own “heartiness” increases. That is the way of a deepening relationship—becoming a dependable partner in bhakti reciprocation.
Here’s what I do, to keep my heart fit for serving Krishna:
1. Feel no hesitation to helplessly dive into the Holy Name; feel no shame to admit my vulnerability and run to the mahamantra, as a child runs crying to mother.
2. Impel the parched heart to seek refuge in the nectarean floodwaters of Bhagavatam and Caitanya-caritamrita.
3. As the mainstay, cultivate the association of inspiring Godbrothers, even if it means going out of my way; “no swami is an island.”
4. As a subordinate measure, value the enthusiastic association and assistance of dedicated disciples, etc., who through thick and thin work to advance Srila Prabhupada’s mission.
5. Meditate upon the heart of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the abode of anxiousness to rescue the Kali-yuga citizens and the emotions of Srimati Radharani