By chandan Bhatia
at Sri Modurmadvipa island of Sri Navadvipa-Mayapur Dham
TRANSCENDENTAL SISTERS RE-APPEAR
NARAYANI DEVI – FAVORED BY LORD SRI CAITANYA MAHAPRABHU
Gaurahari always gave Narayani special attention whenever He saw her, and personally gave her betel nut remnants from His mouth. Sometime after Mahaprabhu left Mayapur, Narayani married and moved to another village. She was pregnant when her husband suddenly died and this is when Malini Devi brought her to Mamgachhi to live.
LITERARY INCARNATION FOR MAHAPRABHU’S PASTIMES
Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura wrote in his commentary to Caitanya Bhagavata, “At the ancestral home of Malini Devi, Vrindavan Das played as a small boy growing up. There he was nourished and cared for just like a valuable gem.” Vrindavan Das Thakura took initiation from Lord Nityananda at 16 years of age and went ravelling and preaching with Him. When they were in Denur, in the district of Burdwan, Lord Nityananda told him to stay and preach there and so he never personally saw Lord Caitanya. He went to the first Gaura-Purnima festival at Kheturi-grama, accompanying Sri Jahnava Devi, the eternal consort of Lord Nityananda.
Srila Krishna Dasa Kaviraja Gosvami shows his supreme homage and gratitude by honoring Vrndavana Dasa hakura with the appellation “Vyasa” in the Caitanya-Caritamrta Antya 20.82: “Vrndavana Dasa Thakura is Lord Nityananda’s favourite devotee. And therefore he is the original Vyasadeva in describing the pastimes of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.” As Srila Vyasadeva told Sri Krishna’s pastimes in Bhagavatam and other Puranas, Srila Vrndavana Dasa Thakura described Caitanya lila in Caitanya Bhagavata.
The humble heart of Krishna Dasa Kaviraja pours out more praises of Vrindavan Dasa Thakura: “Hearing Caitanya Bhagavata destroys all misfortune. By reading Caitanya Bhagavata one will understand the glories of Lord Caitanya and Lord Nityananda. And he will attain the highest perfection of knowledge-pure love of Krishna. “Since such a wonderful book could not be written by a human being, it seems that Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu Himself has spoken it through the mouth of Srila Vrindavana Dasa Thakura. I offer millions of respectful obeisances to the lotus feet of Vrindavana Dasa Thakura. By compiling such a valuable book he has delivered everyone from the cycle of birth and death.” (Caitanya-Caritamrta Adi 8.33-42)
Sri Vrindavan Das Thakura’s samadhi is in the 64 Samadhis Area of Sridham Vrindavan.
MAIN ENTRANCE TO SRI VRINDAVAN DAS THAKURA’S BIRTHPLACE AT MAMGACHHI.
THIS PLACE IS THE ANCESTRAL HOME OF MALINI DEVI, THE WIFE OF SRIVASA PANDITA.
MAMGACHHI IS IN “SRI MODRUMADVIPA” ISLAND, WHICH IS ONE OF THE NINE ISLAND OF SRI NAVADVIPA-MAYAPUR DHAMA
BIRTH SITE OF SRI VRINDAVAN DAS THAKURA
TEMPLE AT THE BIRTHPLACE OF SRI VRINDAVAN DAS THAKURA
DEITIES AT SRI VRINDAVAN DAS THAKURA’S BIRTHPLACE
On left-side are NITAI-GAURANGA. “NITAI-GAURANGA” are the original deities worshiped by Sri Vrindavan Das Thakura.
On right-side are SRI SRI RADHA-KRISHNA installed by Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura Gosvami.
Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura also installed the deity of Sri Vrindavan Das Thakura (white in color).
SRI SRI RADHA-KRISHNA AT SRI VRINDAVAN DAS THAKURA’S BIRTHPLACE
TRANSCENDENTALISTS DISCUSSING PASTIMES OF SRI VRINDAVAN DAS THAKURA AT HIS BIRTHPLACE DURING ANNUAL “NAVADVIPA MANDALA PARIKRAMA”
Directions to reach Mamgachhi:
1) Birthplace of Sri Vrindavan Das Thakura at Mamgachhi in Sri Modrumadvipa island is one of the main stopover during “Navadvipa-Mandala Parikrama” which is organized every year about 10 days before Guara-Purnima Festival at Sridham Mayapur. One can visit Mamgachhi by attending Navadvipa-Mandala Parikrama.
2) Sri Vrindavan Das Thakura birthplace can also be visited by taking a rickshaw from Navadvipa ghat. It will take about 45mins to reach this place. Packaged tours can also be arranged by contacting Mayapur Tourism office on: Mayapurtours@gmail.com
Nearby places to visit at Mamgachhi:
1) Sri Vasudeva Dutta’s house: This is 50 meters away from Sri Vrindavan Das Thakura’s birthplace. Vasudeva Datta was a very liberal Vaisnava who would spent all his money for the worship of his beloved Deity, Madana Gopala, without any consideration of future expenses in spite of the difficulties for his family. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu has such affection for Vasudeva Datta, He vowed on 3 separate occasions that He belonged to Vasudeva Datta. He would say, “I am only Vasudeva Datta’s man. My body is meant only to please Vasudeva Datta and he can sell me anywhere.”
2) Madana-Gopala Temple & House of Sri Sarangapani: This is 100 meters from Sri Vrindavan Das Thakura’s birthplace. Beautiful deities of Sri Sri Radha Madana-Gopala worshipped by Vasudeva Datta and Sri Sri Radha-Gopinatha worshipped by Sri Saranga Deva.
3) Siddha-Bakul tree: In the courtyard of Sri Sarangapani’s house there is a neem-tree also known as Siddha-Bakul. This tree was totally dried up but only until when Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu embraced this tree. The tree came back to life by Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu’s embrace. Lord Caitanya used to come here regularly along with His associates to perform Harinam Sankirtan.